Saturn will always be the greater malefic regardless of how we reframe it. It always brings about challenges, whether it is for the better or worse; it dispenses its blessings, lessons and grace through delays and hardships, or in some sort of harm. “What does not kill you, strengthen you.” is a Saturnian adage. In this series, we will talk about your Saturn sign, Saturn in the houses and its aspects to your planets in the chart. If you are new to astrology, you can check your Saturn placement by clicking the following sites, Astrodienst and Astroseek.
Saturn’s sign is important when we want to determine on whether the houses Saturn rules are beneficial or harmful to the native. Since Saturn is the greater malefic, Saturn’s essential dignity and with it receiving your Ascendant ruler and/or the Moon is imperative when we interpret charts.
- Saturn in Capricorn: Saturn is powerful in its nocturnal home Capricorn. In this earth sign, Saturn endows natives with a cautious and methodical mind. Natives are ambitious and possess the capacity for extreme hard work and endurance with Mars as Saturn’s exaltation ruler. With Saturn at home and if unimpeded, there is the promise of career advancement and financial progress, albeit some delays and hardships. Saturn in dignity ruling malefic houses augurs extreme hardships on those areas unless Saturn receives the Ascendant ruler. For those born during the day, Saturn’s constructive qualities are on the fore, such as clarity, patience, perseverance, ethical awareness, and the capacity to establish strong personal boundaries. We attribute Saturn’s desire to gain in Venus’s triplicity rulership. Natives of nocturnal birth may experience problems with the father or authority figures and lack of self-esteem. The Moon as Saturn’s triplicity ruler and Saturn as the sect malefic brings about the risk of depression should it aspect the Moon and/or Mercury.
- Saturn in Aquarius: Saturn is in the sign of its joy in Aquarius. It rejoices in the sign as not only it is in domicile but also in its triplicity. The heat and moisture of the sign diminishes Saturn’s malice, thus in Aquarius, it harms and impedes less. In this airy sign, Saturn endows natives with powerful intellectual capacity that leads them to advance in whatever they set their minds to. These natives can be obstinate and are excellent critical thinkers. Saturn in dignity ruling malefic houses augurs extreme hardships on those areas unless Saturn receives the Ascendant ruler. Individuals born during the day would benefit from the houses Saturn rules should he receive the Ascendant ruler. While for those born at night suggest hardships unless there is reception with Ascendant ruler. Mercury further strengthens the intellect, endows eloquence, creativity and adaptability to Saturn, thus natives are less stubborn than their diurnal counterpart.
- Saturn in Pisces: In Pisces, Saturn is peregrine, so it will rely on Jupiter and Venus for support. With Saturn, the planet of limitation and restrictions in the house of Jupiter (ruling expansion, faith, religion, spirituality, higher education) and Venus (ruling romantic affairs, sex, fun, luxury) issues on the lack of personal boundaries, love affairs, faith and religiosity, and finances will be on the fore.
- Saturn in Aries: Aries is the sign of Saturn’s fall and with Mars and the Sun ruling Saturn, natives may experience troubles in setting or observing personal boundaries, impatience, and ruthlessness. It augurs delays and setbacks in career and reputation. There is a mitigation of affliction for those born during the day, as natives can establish effective personal boundaries and possess the capacity in setting realistic goals. These natives are ambitious and driven. The Sun ruling Saturn suggests natives crave recognition and advancement. However, with Saturn in fall and in the sign ruled by the fiery sect malefic Mars, natives are liable to anger, impatience, ruthlessness, and impulsiveness. Natives of nocturnal birth may suffer from low self-esteem and lack of personal boundaries with Saturn as the sect malefic.
- Saturn in Taurus: Although peregrine, Saturn is quite comfortable in Taurus, as both are cold and dry. In this fixed sign, Saturn is extremely obstinate, thus it endows natives with a firm mind, stability of character and capacity for long-term focus. As a malefic, Saturn in this sign delays gratification and frustrates romance. The placement produces problems related to greed and avarice. Venus’ and the Moon’s rulership over Taurus inclines Saturn to seek comfort and luxury, thus natives with this placement may work hard to feel secure. Venus’ influence on Saturn strengthens for those of diurnal birth, and this suggests of the native’s inclination towards material achievement. For those born at night, the Moon takes the helm as the exaltation and triplicity ruler of Saturn, and this suggests of natives seeking emotional fulfillment and stability.
- Saturn in Gemini: Saturn performs well in Gemini, especially for those born during the day with him as its triplicity ruler. As a malefic, Saturn brings about challenges and delays in communication. With Gemini ruling the hands, there could be problems with the eye-hand coordination. With Mercury ruling Saturn, especially for those born at night, natives possess a brilliant mind capable of deep and thorough analysis. The placement suggests that natives seek advancement in matters related to education, science, technology, trade and commerce.
- Saturn in Cancer: In Cancer, Saturn is in the sign of its detriment as it is opposite its home Capricorn. Although it suffers debility in this sign, Saturn is quite comfortable because it has an affinity with Cancer as both share the quality of coldness. The abundance of moisture and the lack of heat which we attribute to Cancer and its ruler the Moon intensify Saturn’s coldness. From those factors, Saturn acts as a potent malefic when in this sign. Saturn brings about difficulties in the native’s relationship with the parents, especially with the mother. Alternatively, it also suggests the vulnerable physical vitality of the parents. The placement shows problems at home and challenges in the native’s own family. Regarding the natives’ traits, individuals with this Saturn are observably deep and highly intuitive. However, the Moon’s rulership over Saturn creates an emotional roller coaster experience, thus natives may report feelings of extreme highs and lows. In the same way, the natives are susceptible to the cyclical nature of fortune. For those born during the day, Jupiter as the sect benefic, and his exaltation rulership over Saturn eases the affliction. Jupiter’s influence makes natives helpful and generous. Jupiter and/or the Moon in their dignities and aspect/s Saturn supports worldly advancement and financial gains. Natives born night are liable to Saturn’s malice with him as the sect malefic.
- Saturn in Leo: In Leo, Saturn is in the sign of its detriment as it is opposite its home Aquarius. Unlike in Cancer, there is at least a mitigation of Saturn’s ice-cold malice, by being in a hot and dry sign. However, in this fixed and barren sign, there is an excess of dryness. Similar to those with Saturn in Aries, natives with this placement are ambitious, hardworking, and crave recognition. They possess effective leadership and managerial skills. The excessive dryness suggests callousness and extreme self-preservation, thus natives are prone to dictatorial and narcistic tendencies. The placement suggests the natives may have had experienced or will have their reputations tarnished. They struggle with control, making them susceptible to overstepping boundaries and breach of ethics. For those born during the day, the Sun’s influence strengthens and endows natives with excellent leadership skills and the ability to get ahead in life. However, the heat of the day augments the individuating dryness, and this makes natives prone to disregard other’s needs and feelings. With Saturn as the sect malefic, individuals born at night may suffer from the lack of confidence. Jupiter, the planet of expansion, as the nocturnal triplicity ruler of Saturn suggests of the natives liability to overstepping of boundaries and breaching of ethics.
- Saturn in Virgo: Saturn and the sign of Virgo have a lot in common. Aside from sharing the quality of cold and dry, the stereotypical hypercritical nature of Virgo is synonymous with Saturn’s reputation as the harshest and overbearing teacher. In this earthy, mercurial, human, rational and social sign, Saturn impresses upon the natives the importance of discipline, precise planning, practicality, strict attention to detail, clear communication and logic. Saturn in Virgo brings about hyperrationality, thus there will be challenges in expressing emotions and establishing personal relationships. With Virgo a barren sign, there is also an excess of individuating dryness. For those born during the day, Saturn’s pragmatism and hypercritical tendencies become apparent. Venus’ triplicity rulership enhances the native’s eye for beauty, but with Venus fallen in Virgo, manifests as a strong desire for order and perfection. These natives or the people surrounding the natives may display the listed traits. The Moon as Saturn’s nocturnal triplicity ruler softens the Saturnian harshness and suggests of the native’s practical and helpful nature. These individuals are unassuming and self-effacing. However, these individuals are very self-critical and may suffer from hypochondriasis with Saturn as the sect malefic.
- Saturn in Libra: Saturn is the almuten of Libra as it has the most rulership over the sign. In the sign of the scales, Saturn is in its exaltation and is the sign’s diurnal triplicity ruler. It also possesses term, triplicity and face rulership in Libra. From these, we can say that Saturn takes the helm as Libra’s ruler, thus it is a critical planet to monitor for natives born with a prominent Libra placement in the chart. With Saturn in near excellent condition, natives benefit from this placement. Saturn in Venus’ airy domicile endows impartiality, foresight, grace, tact, and diplomacy. The placement is also excellent for getting ahead in the corporate and political spheres. However, as a malefic, it brings about challenges and delays in romance and marriage. People born during the day benefit with Saturn receiving the Ascendant ruler while it can be quite challenging with its powerful dignity should Saturn rule malefic houses, not receive and hate the Lord of the Ascendant (if the ruler of the Ascendant is in Aries, Cancer, and Leo). Saturn as the nocturnal sect malefic impresses upon the natives’ autocratic tendencies. Mercury’s influence on Saturn as the nocturnal triplicity ruler endows eloquence and cleverness.
- Saturn in Scorpio: Saturn in the fixed watery sign of Mars suggests natives feel deeply and intensely. Individuals are discrete, perceptive, probing, and calculating. It endows a powerful curiosity in medicine/healing, psychology, paranormal, and the occult. As a malefic, Saturn pushes the natives to emotionally intense and traumatic experiences. For those born during the day, Mars as the sect malefic makes natives liable to anger and impulsiveness but also makes the natives willful. Venus’ triplicity rulership suggests of the native’s desire to gain, but with it in detriment in Scorpio manifests as a predisposition to possessiveness, jealousy and envy. Mars takes the helm as the domicile and triplicity ruler of Saturn, and this makes natives stealthy and cunning. However, with Saturn as the sect malefic predisposes natives in bottling up emotions and as a result, may suffer from painful explosions later.
- Saturn in Sagittarius: Saturn in the diurnal sign of Jupiter either adds depth of devotion to spirituality or makes natives skeptical of it. The placement endows talents in the sciences, law, religion, academe and research. However, at some point, this will bring troubles with legalities or the natives may get in the trouble with the law. Saturn strengthens the skepticism and with Jupiter as the diurnal sect benefic protects from lawsuits. For those born at night, Jupiter takes the helm as Saturn’s domicile and triplicity ruler. Jupiter’s powerful rulership over Saturn inclines natives to spirituality. It also endows natives with a philosophical bent and powerful interest in learning. With Saturn as the sect malefic, natives will learn lessons related to boundaries and limit setting. These natives are prone to blind, proselytizing faith.
In this section, we will discuss Saturn in the Houses. Saturn as the planet of challenges, delays and obstacles will bring these to the topics the houses signify.
- Saturn in the Ascendant or the First House: Saturn in the Ascendant suggests people see natives as serious and mature. Discipline and responsibility come to them easily. These people in their early years may have suffered a lot from depraved, painful and challenging circumstances. These natives are self-critical and lack self-esteem. However, for these natives, life gets better with time. Saturn in the Ascendant is beneficial and fortunate for those born with Capricorn, Aquarius and Libra Rising. Here, Saturn’s placement endows robust constitution and the potential to advance in life. Saturn in detriment and fall (Cancer, Leo, and Aries) in the Ascendant suggests of feeble health early in life.
- Saturn in the Second House: Saturn in the Second House requires a lot of hard work and discipline with material gains. These natives can either be cautious with their finances or be the spendthrifts. Depending on Saturn’s essential dignity, natives experience the cycle of gains and loss in financial and material matters.
- Saturn in the Third House: Potential contention with siblings or the siblings may become a burden for the natives. The placement could also manifest as the natives and his/her sibling/s living independently and separately from each other. Since the Third House is the house of communication, there could be developmental delays in learning and speaking. This placement may also show stuttering.
- Saturn in the Fourth House: Traditional texts tell us that Saturn and the Fourth House are similar in their significations as both rule over real estate, agriculture, parents, ancestors, endings and old age. From this, we can say Saturn’s placement here is fortunate for topics we associate with the Fourth House. However, as a malefic, the placement suggests contention within the family or within the clan. It also may show issues during childhood, on real estate and the health of one or both of the parents, especially if Saturn is not in an excellent state and is suffering affliction. Should Saturn be strong in dignity and/or receiving the Ascendant ruler, there is a promise of gains from real estate, agriculture, mining and from familial inheritance.
- Saturn in the Fifth House: The placement augurs issues, challenges and delays with romance, child-bearing, children, sex and in speculation. If Saturn is in its dignities and receiving the Ascendant ruler, there is a mitigation regarding problems on those topics and natives may gain from such.
- Saturn in the Sixth House: Saturn brings about issues regarding chronic illnesses, relationship with colleagues or co-workers. It also shows responsibilities and challenges related to owning small pets. Here, we would rather see the Ascendant ruler more powerful in terms of essential and accidental dignity than Saturn. Saturn should receive the Lord of the Ascendant should there be an aspect in between the two if we ought to judge robust constitution and natives being fortunate regarding Sixth House topics. If not in aspect, we also judge robustness of health. However, the native may be impersonal with his or her relationship with co-workers.
- Saturn in the Seventh House/Descendant: Challenges, delays and issues concerning marriage, partnerships, and legalities are the potential outcomes of this placement. Saturn in one of his essential dignities in the Seventh House suggests a powerful partner and/or powerful, persistent enemies. The concept of reception between the Ascendant, Saturn and the Seventh House ruler is even more important in delineating friendship or enmity. Saturn receiving both the Ascendant and Seventh House, and the Ascendant and the Seventh House ruler receiving each other offers stable, long-lasting partnerships, and mutually beneficial resolutions in legal concerns. The partner will only benefit if there is only a reception between the Seventh House ruler and Saturn. Likewise, with Saturn receiving the Ascendant ruler, the natives only benefit from the Seventh House topics. Saturn harming the Lord of the Ascendant suggests thematic instabilities in partnerships and liability to lawsuits if natives are not careful.
- Saturn in the Eighth House: There are challenges, delays, and issues concerning other people’s money. In the Chaldean order of the planets, these ancients associate Saturn with the Eighth House. From a symbolic perspective, this relationship makes sense as Saturn and the Eighth House share the concepts of liabilities, death, and the occult. Here, there could be bodily harm should Saturn aspect the Ascendant Lord, especially with a hard aspect, without reception and from a place where the Lord of the Ascendant is in fall or in detriment. It can also endow the native’s powerful interest in the occult. Some astrological text suggests that this placement is fortunate for gaining financially from insurance settlements and wills. However, this could also manifest as problems in handling the finances, especially the predisposition to incurring, and problems in managing debts. The placement may also show as the native’s partner having trouble with financial matters.
- Saturn in the Ninth House: Saturn, in the house of God, dampens the native’s interest in spirituality, as there is a predilection to atheism; the least as a strong skeptic of religion and spirituality. However, it could also signify asceticism, especially with Saturn in one of its major essential dignities and receiving the Lord of the Ascendant. Saturn in the Ninth House strengthens the native’s logical and analytical faculties. As a result, the placement endows talents in research, the academe, and the law (career advancement if it is the native’s profession), especially if there is a reception between Saturn, the Lord of the Ninth House, and the Lord of the Ascendant. Saturn, harming the Lord of the Ascendant, suggests troubles with the law. It could also impress upon the natives the “god is cruel” experience and mentality.
- Saturn in the Tenth House/Midheaven: For those with Capricorn Rising, Saturn’s placement in the Tenth House is fortunate in personal, financial, and career matters. However, for other signs, this placement brings about challenges, frustrations, and issues in dealing with their parents, authority figures, and delays in getting ahead in one’s career. Saturn in detriment or fall in the Tenth House suggests natives may experience a tarnish in their reputation. The placement of an afflicted Saturn in the Tenth House predisposes natives to dictatorial tendencies.
- Saturn in the Eleventh House: There will be challenges, delays, frustrations, and issues in the realization of hopes and wishes. Saturn also puts a strain in the natives’ friendship and the capacity to widen one’s social circle. Saturn, in one of his major essential dignity here and receives the ruler of the Ascendant, suggests association and gains from people of eminence and wealth. Saturn harming the ruler of the Ascendant suggests loss of friends, or the natives may suffer from ill-repute.
- Saturn in the Twelfth House: Saturn rejoices in this house as both signify sorrow, trials, and loss. However, there could be a mitigation and there are gains in topics associated with this house if Saturn is in its major essential dignity and receiving the Ascendant ruler. Loss and tribulation is a life theme if Saturn harms the Lord of the Ascendant.
Saturn hinders but also stabilizes the expression of planets. As most astrologers would say, “Saturn gets better with time.”, as it also acts like a trust-fund manager where it controls the time of expression or manifestation of the planet it aspects. In this segment, we will discuss Saturn’s aspects to your natal planets. Here, we will only use the Ptolemaic aspects and will not include Uranus, Neptune and Pluto in the interpretation.
- Natal Sun-Saturn: In the Thema Mundi, the Sun and Saturn are enemies as they rule houses opposite each other. It is for this reason that regardless of the aspect, there is always a tension between the two planets. The aspect of these planets suggests of the character of the native’s father and how the person deals with authority figures. The Sun conjunct/square/opposite Saturn makes natives serious and mature. Since the Sun rules vitality and the spirit, natives may feel either sober or lethargic. In extremely afflicted cases, the placement may show depression and hopelessness. These natives early in their life may be shy, but this confidence and sense of authority develops as time goes by. The hard aspects suggest of the native’s tense relationship with the father or authority figures. For those with Sun sextile/trine Saturn, natives naturally exude authority and possess leadership skills. The father or authority could be supportive and encouraging to the natives.
- Natal Moon-Saturn: Once more in the Thema Mundi, the Moon and Saturn are enemies as they rule houses opposite each other. It is for this reason that regardless of the aspect, there is always a tension between the two planets. I think that the aspect of the Moon and Saturn is critical (more important than the Sun) when assessing charts as the Moon co-rules the native’s mind and body, and Saturn is the significator of hardships, limitations, and death. Since the Moon also has rulership over women and mothers, the Moon’s aspect to Saturn colors and adds depth to the roles and characteristics of women in the native’s life. The hard aspects such as conjunction, square and opposition of the Moon and Saturn suggest tension or a difficult relationship with the mother or with women. The mother may be strict, controlling, or indifferent. It can also show emotional callousness or that natives suffering from vexations of the mind. These natives are tough, independent, and have an ironclad will. For those who have trine and sextile Saturn, natives are rational, disciplined, and calm under pressure. They have an innate sense of responsibility and are stoic in the face of adversity. The natives mother may be the pillar of strength of the native. It may also show that their mothers are responsible and career-oriented.
- Natal Mercury-Saturn: Saturn and Mercury are similar, yet they are also different. They are similar as these planets share the qualities of cold and dry. The relationship between Mercury and Saturn is platonic; it is friendly but impersonal, or perhaps transactional. In the Thema Mundi, we see this relationship between Saturn and Mercury in the aspects of the signs they rule. Virgo is trine Capricorn, while Gemini is contra-antiscia to Capricorn. Likewise, Aquarius is trine Gemini but is averse to Virgo. From those, we can say that the aspect augurs pragmatism and detachment. The slowing influence of Saturn makes natives deliberate, scrupulous, and calculating. Mercury’s conjunction, trine, and sextile with Saturn suggest natives are quiet and logical. However, when they decide to talk, these natives are forthright, concise, and a matter-of-fact. It also shows the natives’ inclination and talent in mathematics and the sciences. Natives with Mercury square or opposing Saturn suggest communication and developmental delays early in their lives. However, it can also show potential character flaws as it pertains to lack of discretion, dishonesty, prejudice, and inflexibility.
- Natal Venus-Saturn: In western traditional astrology, the relationship between Venus and Saturn is inimical. However, as per Vedic texts, Venus is Saturn’s intimate confidant. Among the two, I lean on the latter. One testimony regarding the fruitful relationship between Saturn and Venus is Saturn’s exaltation in Libra. In Libra, Saturn receives preferment from Venus as seen in the multitude of essential dignity Saturn gains in the sign. Venus also does not suffer fall and detriment in the signs Saturn rules. We can see the supportive and guarding relationship of Venus and Saturn as Venus aspects all of Saturn’s houses and likewise Saturn aspects all of Venus’ houses (viz. Libra trine (signifies perfect friendship) Aquarius; Capricorn trine Taurus; Libra square (signifies partial enmity) Capricorn; Aquarius square Taurus). Both planets also share the quality cold and Venus complements the Saturnian dryness with moist. The Moon also offers this kind of support as it is a cold and moist planet but again, the Moon naturally opposes Saturn. Even with difficult aspects, Venus and Saturn will always help each other. The difficult aspect between Venus-Saturn suggests natives experience frustrations and delays in romance and marriage but does not entirely deny joy and fulfillment. In financial matters, the aspect manifests as susceptibility to the cycles of gains and loss. Natives with Venus conjunct, trine and sextile with Saturn offers stability and longevity in romance. The positive aspects soften the Saturnian edges and help natives advance in life.
- Natal Mars-Saturn: The aspect between these planets are challenging as they are the malefics. Although both share the quality of dryness, their primary qualities clash – Saturn is predominantly cold while Mars is predominantly hot. Regarding the Thema Mundi, they either help or harm each other as seen in the aspects of the signs they rule (viz. Scorpio sextile (signifies partial friendship) Capricorn; Aquarius sextile Aries; Capricorn square (signifies partial enmity) Aries and Scorpio square Aquarius). Albeit Mars and Saturn aspect each other’s houses, the relationship by essential dignity between these planets sets it apart from the relationship between Saturn and Venus. Mars is in the sign of its exaltation and has term and face rulership in Capricorn, while Saturn suffers a fall in Aries and does not have a major essential dignity in Scorpio. It is only in Capricorn that Mars and Saturn perfectly cooperate. Regardless of the aspect, Mars-Saturn contact in the natal chart endows a dominant personality, a powerful will, and immense determination. These natives are resilient, and hardships even make them better. Things are quite easier and smooth flowing for those with Mars trine or sextile Saturn. They possess remarkable discipline and organizational skills. The combination produces excellent tacticians and strategists. While hard aspects such as conjunction, square and opposition makes natives intense and aggressive. Anger and ruthlessness can be problems. Frustrations can result as Saturn holds back while Mars pushes.
- Natal Jupiter-Saturn: Jupiter is the complete anti-thesis of Saturn. Jupiter is the principle of expansion while Saturn is of contraction. By quality, Jupiter is warm and moist while Saturn is cold and dry. The adage “One step forward, two steps backward.” is how this contact manifests. I think the quality of the signs they are in is crucial when we interpret Jupiter and Saturn. Jupiter and Saturn agrees when they are conjunct and trine in the air signs as Jupiter is of the air element and is the participating triplicity ruler of the air trigon, while Saturn owns two signs (Libra and Aquarius) and is the diurnal triplicity ruler of the air triplicity. Saturn benefits while Jupiter suffers in earth signs as not only it is contrary to its quality but in the earthy signs of Virgo and Capricorn is where he suffers detriment and fall. While Jupiter performs well in the fire signs, Saturn takes the hard hit. In water signs, Jupiter has the upper hand over Saturn as it has domicile and exaltation rulership in the signs of Pisces and Cancer, respectively. Jupiter sextile Saturn supports steady growth and progress in life. When Jupiter trines Saturn in earth signs, natives prosper materially but also augments much responsibilities. Jupiter trine Saturn in water and air signs promotes mental well-being, enriches the native’s intellect and is excellent for creative endeavors. The trine of Jupiter and Saturn in fire signs promotes freedom. However, there could be problems with limit setting and personal boundaries. The aspect portends the transience of things in the native’s life. Jupiter’s and Saturn’s square and opposition portends gain from one area of life at the expense of the other.